Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Last Lecture



Check out Dr. Pauch's Webpage at:


and watch his lecture...


Dr. Randy Pauch is a Computer Science professor at the Carnegie Mellon University. Everything about this 46 year professor, father of 3 kids look absolutely fine, except that he has pancreatic cancer and he is going to live, just for a few more months.


Wall street journal called it the “THE LECTURE OF A LIFETIME”. The talk filled with humor and enthusiasm lets you doubt, if this man is really going to die in a few days. In the lecture he talks about his life journey, from his love for stuffed animals, to his passion to work for Disney.
He tells why teaching is the best profession, for him it was a way to “enable the childhood dreams of others” – his students.

Some of his quotes:
“But remember, the brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.”


“And I think that that’s one of the best things you can give somebody – the chance to show them what it feels like to make other people get excited and happy. I mean that’s a tremendous gift.”


“When you’ve had something for ten years that you hold so precious, it’s the toughest thing in the world to hand it over. And the only advice I can give you is, find somebody better than you to hand it to.”


“The best way to teach somebody something is to have them think they’re learning something else.”


“I, like Moses, get to see the promised land, but I won’t get to set foot in it.”


“I mean I don’t know how to not have fun. I’m dying and I’m having fun. And I’m going to keep having fun every day I have left. Because there’s no other way to play it.”


“How do you get people to help you? You can’t get there alone. People have to help you and I do believe in karma. I believe in paybacks. You get people to help you by telling the truth. Being earnest. I’ll take an earnest person over a hip person every day, because hip is short term. Earnest is long term. Apologize when you screw up and focus on other people, not on yourself.”


“Remember brick walls let us show our dedication. They are there to separate us from the people who don’t really want to achieve their childhood dreams. Don’t bail. The best of the gold’s at the bottom of barrels of crap.” – as my boss say ‘persistence man persistence, that makes all the difference.’


“When people give you feedback, cherish it and use it. Show gratitude. When I got tenure I took all of my research team down to Disneyworld for a week. And one of the other professors at Virginia said, how can you do that? I said these people just busted their ass and got me the best job in the world for life. How could I not do that?”


“Be good at something, it makes you valuable.”


“Find the best in everybody. One of the things that Jon Snoddy as I said told me, is that you might have to wait a long time, sometimes years, but people will show you their good side. Just keep waiting no matter how long it takes. No one is all evil. Everybody has a good side, just keep waiting, it will come out.”


“It’s not about how to achieve your dreams. It’s about how to lead your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you."

No comments: