Thursday, August 21, 2008

From Colorado Springs to Aspen, Colorado



This morning I picked up a rental car from the Colorado Springs Airport and drove to meet my Aunt Susan (my mom's sister) for a weekend in Aspen. After a stop to Target (had to check if they had my favorite Nick and Nora pj's that I've been searching for... and... they did) to get some H2O and road trip essentials I drove the 3 1/2 ish hours to Aspen. I took the Independence Pass, which was a very windy and a big climb in elevation drive. I stopped along the way to snap some shots.


The above picture was taken in Lake George, Colorado. I've started a little photography project of taking pictures of crosses in the towns that I visit. So far I have a good start ~ and they are all different...



Reminds me of being home in Oregon



I am thankful that I had such a clear and sunny day for my drive



My ears were really popping right about now... headed to 12,500 feet... but not quite there yet. Oh! And nobody was kind enough to let me know that there are NO bathrooms until the end of Independence Pass. This motivated me to keep on trucking...





I can't imagine driving this drive at night or during the snow season. There are parts of the road that are one way... and you never know when they are coming up. I just creeped around the corners and then would SLAM on my breaks if there was an oncoming car. I'm not kidding! At one point a carload of young folk (college age? students) all had there hands out the window and shook my hand as we passed ~ I was hugging the rocks and they were seriously on the edge of the road. Crazy.


I arrived in Aspen in the afternoon. My aunt was staying at a friend's house and I didn't know what to expect... I pulled up to a quaint 10,000+ house right on the slopes. We had it all to ourselves. SWEET!


If you look through the trees you can see the chair lifts. How cool would it be to be able to look out your kitchen window and watch people skiing down the slopes and riding up the lifts? There may be just a tad bit of excess disposable income in Aspen. I'm just guessing.



I think I could do the dishes in this house



The kitchen


Part of the front of the house. I wish I snapped a shot of the back of the house. It has a hot tub, a huge deck and incredible landscaping. How lucky I am to get to stay in these digs. Beats the Motel 6.

Tomorrow we are going White Water Rafting. Fun times! COLD, fun times!

No comments: