Monday, March 9, 2009

I heart my Portland, Oregon peeps!

Early last month I called my bestie, Lindsey and told her that I needed to get out of dodge! She suggested that I come to Portland... and within an hour my flight was booked! Now that is a good friend! It's been over a year since I spent time with her (then infant now toddler) son Dylan. I stay caught up by following her blog and picture site and listening to him talk and talk when she is on the phone. I was so excited to see him and squeeze him. I HATE living so far away from friends. It's the price I pay to live where I live and work where I work...
Our first stop was to the new Safeway in The Pearl District. I was quickly reminded that shopping with a toddler is a bit different than my solo shopping. I like to browse and meander... Lindsey is on a mission and goes in with a strategic plan, with a list and flings items into the cart with speed and precision. We, after all, needed to get home ASAP to put Dylan down for his afternoon siesta. (Another well oiled machine!)

Lindsey was about to kill me when I handed Dylan a stuffed duck to look at. Um, that duck was an add-on purchase. Lindsey caved and said that it would make a nice Easter treat.

Showing the signs of sleepy time!

Dylan (also known as Dilly Jack) LOVES his stuffed animals. I gave him a moose from Alaska which he sleeps with... His other favorites are Brucie the Giraffe, Monkey and now... the new duck. Dylan squeals and says, "Duck! Duck! Duck! Quack, quack, quack!"

I loved helping with Dylan's bedtime routine. He loves to look at books and read. He has an unbelievable vocabulary and attention span. He's turning 2 years old in 2 months, but talks like a 3 or 4 year old. He goes to sleep around 9 and sleeps at least 12 hours straight! The guest room shares a wall with his room. In the morning I woke up to Dylan talking. "Mark? Mark? (That's what he's calling his Dad these days, as he hears Lindsey calling for him) Mom? Mom? And then, MINDA! MINDA! (That's his name for me!) Lindsey had warned me about this and said to leave him in his crib to play for a bit. And play he did! He was talking to his animals and singing and cracking himself up. Precious!

Getting low, low, low and dancing to the music!

Mark, Lindsey and I watched TV together every night after Dylan Darling was out down for the night. Is DVR not the greatest modern invention? Well, a close third to GPS and iPods! One night we were watching American Idol and laughing hysterical while watching Norman's display of talent. Dylan was hootin' and hollerin' from his crib! Lindsey went to settle him back down and we could hear him on the monitor saying, "Minda laugh... ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaa." It was this deep from the belly impersonation. We were rolling! We put towels under the door to muffle the noise and turned it down a notch or two!

Dylan's a great eater too. When he wants to be... His favorite spoon is one of Lindsey's camping spoons. I love it! That spoon has been with her on many adventures!

He's not shy giving kisses...

And is such a goof ball!


Dylan ran to the window screaming, "Trash truck! Trash truck!" He's fond of his trucks and loads us his yellow dump truck with layers of other trucks. He's very particular about with what and how he plays. Very systematic. (Like his mama!)

We took a trip to Michaels and then to a Scrapbook store. Because you can't travel without checking out the local inventory!!!! Dylan's good to go as long he has his raisins.

Mama loves her baby!

Thursday night my brother, Ken and his girlfriend, Sonia, took me to dinner in Burlingame. We ate Mexican food at La Costita. It was delicious! After dinner we headed to Sonia's brother and sister-in-laws house. I had the chance to meet her mom, sister, brother, sister-in-law and 2 of her nephews. Her nephew Athan is 1 and Elias is 2 months old. Of course, you know who I ended up holding and drooling over! They are very cute boys. Sonia and her family are Lebanese... Ziad has taught me some Arabic words and I like throwing around the ones I know!

Friday, Lindsey was nice enough to drive us to Silverton, to have lunch with Tirza and her adorable daughters, Mira and Annah.
Dylan is a kid after my own heart. He has to wear sunglasses when the sun is out.

At one point he was playing the, "let's throw the glasses on the floor and ask Melinda to pick them up game." After a round or two, Lindsey confiscated the glasses. He quickly perked up and said, "Sorry, Mommy. Glasses please???" How can you not give in?

How blessed am I to spend time with my 2 best friends???? Tirza and I have been friends for almost 20 years. We've grown up together. Well.... she's done a lot more growing up as she is a wife and mama!
Tirza fixed us a gourmet lunch... homemade vegetable soup and chicken salad and bread. Dessert was courtesy of a neighbor...

A puppy cake! I had the tail. It was ALL frosting... and... well... you know that's my favorite part of the cake! Who needs the cake when you can have the frosting?

Annah and Mira.
Tirza home schools the girls. Annah is in Preschool and Mira is in First grade. They have a full classroom set up in their back room and are loving being taught by their Mom and Dad. They are also apart of a local Co-op and have many field trips, parties and play dates. That afternoon they were headed to a park with 30 of their closest friends! You can do a lot when you aren't a, "traditional student!"

Mira and Annah playing ~ their school calendar behind them...

And now Dylan joins in. I think they need a little brother! :O) They are both very patient and were so good about finding toys that Dylan would like. Very sweet.


Annah came downstairs in her Sunday best.

Tirza is very organized and a planner. This is her weekly food menu. Check out her blog. She is able to spend around $300 a month to feed a family of four. She makes almost everything from scratch and is a big coupon cutter! The girls love making their own snacks and get really creative with meals.

Mira is a very advanced reader. Dad and Mom had to set limits on how many chapter books she can read in one day. Or she would read ALL DAY! She starts and ends her day in bed reading and will read any chance that she gets.

Me and my girls. I seriously don't think I could survive without friends like them in my life! We are very blessed to have each other! I may behind in the "wife and mother" category... but am learning so much about marriage and parenting through them. They are so committed to their husbands and children and I admire the lives that they are creating.

Tirza Elizabeth and I

Saturday morning Lindsey and I had some, "Mel and Linds time." Mark offered to stay home with Dylan ~ and we buzzed around town sans stroller, sippy cups, and car seat!

Beautiful boy!

Wearing mama's clogs...

This is my purchase of the day. A Harajuku purse. I think it's pretty cute! I love anything Japanese and think the Harajuku mermaids are fun!!! I've been wanting one for awhile and finally settled on this one. Whatcha' think?

Saturday night was a wild and crazy one. Well.... modified by having a lil' one in tow, but still fun! We ate fish and chips and had a libation or two at Kells. It was a trip down memory lane as Lindsey and I spent a few "Thirsty Thursdays" college days at the Kells in downtown Corvallis.


Dylan got a lot of attention from patrons sitting next to us. He was in rare form and eating up all of the glances and laughs!

Gotta' love the hair...

3 babes and a baby! Lindsey's friend, Megan, joined us for dinner. Linds and Megan met at Art School. She's good people and I hope to meet up again soon...

The Thomas Family ~ Lindsey, Dylan Jackson and Mark

The group

Amigas para siempre...


We ate Sunday brunch at The Hub pizza at Hopworks Brewery in Portland. It's Dylan's favorite. When we pulled into the parking lot he started yelling, "Hub Pizza! Hub Pizza!" They have awesome organic pizza and beer and a play area that Dylan darted to.

The building boasts Green Culture... and "Lovett Deconstruction spent an entire month systematically demolishing the interior and recovering and organizing an amazing array of lumber and fixtures. The building is roughly 16,800 square feet resembling an overturned wooden ship." That's Oregon for ya'!

Crayons AND Pizza. Life is good.


Dylan and Daddy

Thank you for an awesome get away!
Good-bye Portland peeps! Lindsey, Tirza, (and hopefully Annette, another college buddy) will reunite when we complete the Helvetia Half Marathon this June in Beaverton, Oregon!
"A friend loves at all times."
Proverbs 17:17

4 comments:

Dena said...

what a GREAT post! ( I know people in it!! :)

You know....Portland is ONLY about 1 hour away from little old me....next time!

Looks like you had a GREAT time!

xoxo

Dena said...

(can't get Tirza's blog link to work)

Anonymous said...

looks like a fun time!
Tina

melinda marie said...

Dena,
I fixed the links! At least I think I did....