Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ring around the Big Island

I drove around the entire Big Island today. I had work visits in Captain Cook and Milolii and then headed to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Since I was almost half way around the island, I just kept going!

I stretched my legs at the Hawaii Coffee Company. I though I don't like the taste of coffee, I do like the smell. My mom is a big coffee drinker and my dad isn't. Half of us drink it and half don't. Could it be a genetic preference? Hmm...

This is in Milolii. The ground is all lava rock.

Before heading to the volcanoes, I stopped for a nutritious lunch of Hawaiian bread! They insisted that I try it stuffed with azuki beans ~ a small Japanese sweet bean. Different but decent.

I stopped at Kilauea Volcano. I was disappointed to not see, "flowing lava," but seeing the International Biosphere Reserve was worth it.

Steam vents.

A drive in volcano! Just my speed.


It took about four hours to drive around the Big Island. It was worth it to be able to experience this:


Possibly the most gorgeous sunset ever witnessed.

Tomorrow I fly to Maui to meet up with my family for Ken and Sonia's Wedding. I'll be a solo traveler no more! WOOT!

No comments: