Sunday, August 23, 2009

Chicago ~ Day 3

Nothing says Good Morning like a morning brunch at Portillo's! Yep. Our last breakfast in Chicago included a hot dog. Power food for our day of power walking and preparing our minds to soak up the field trip excursions ahead.

What an amazing beautiful day in the Windy City! There wasn't a cloud to be found and the weather was near perfect! We spent the day at Museum Campus and crammed in as much as we could at The Shedd Aquarium, The Adler Planetarium and Astronomy Museum, The Fields Museum.


The snapping turtle was one ugly looking dude who could use a little toe nail clipping!

The otters showed off their stuff...

and the penguins were fun to watch!

Baby Beluga was pretty cool. And yes, he did "swim so fast and swim so freeeeee!"

And the Jelly fish glowed so pretty. The Shedd is awesome and I will definitely be making a return trip!

Next was the Planetarium ~ Tommy's request. I was a bit confused when I couldn't find all of the plants. Yep. I'm a bit slow at times. I thought that the PLANeTarium was full of PLANTS. Learning more about astronomy was cool. I took Astronomy in college but am pretty sure I only attended the class long enough to obtain the syllabus. Pass/Fail science give meaning to taking the easy way out.

Celestial Sphere. I like big words.



Glistening... but no complaints about the sun shining!

On to The Field Museum.

We toured the Soil Lab after walking through a "shrinking lab" and becoming 1/100 of our size!

Then it was off to meet Sue. "Sue" is the largest preserved Tyrannosaurus Rex ever discovered.

Sue stands 13 feet high and 42 feet long from head to toe!

We passed on the Pirate Exhibit as we weren't too excited to dole out more cash... but still took some time to chill with the mateys!


We walked to The Buckingham Fountain ~ one of Chicago's famous landmarks to do some people watching and rest our feet.

I was ready for my Sunday afternoon snooze right about now. But we still had a bus / subway ride to Oakbrook ahead of us.

One last stop at Millennium Park to gaze at the architecture and then we said Au Revoir to downtown Chicago and I headed to my work retreat in Oakbrook! What a fantabulous weekend!!!

No comments: