Friday, March 5, 2010

Disneyworld Princess Half Marathon Weekend ~ Day one of princessness

The Disneyworld Princess Half Marathon Princesses ~ Jennifer, Moi and Lindsay

I "met" Lindsay "through" Mo "through" work. Crazy small world. Lindsay sent out a Facebook shout out saying that she wanted to complete the Disneyworld Princess Half Marathon for her birthday weekend. She asked for any takers. Guess who didn't think twice about signing up???? Yep. I've got the half marathon itch again. And I said that I would NEVER do one again. Need I be reminded of my last little running adventure???? (Hello, Lindsey and Annette...are you reading this?)

I flew in from Louisiana (by way of Dallas, because who needs direct flights when you can waste the day away courtesy of layovers?) and started my well orchestrated girls weekend. Being the bargain hunters that we are, Lindsay, Jennifer (Lindsay's friend who was nice enough to let me tag along) and I stayed at The All Star Movie Resort. Think Motel 6. And not even a nice one, and that would be Disney's answer to "Economy resort property."

For a quick minute I thought that Jennifer and I were going to have to do this princess thingeemabob without Missy girl Lindsay. Lindsay spent five days last week IN the HOSPITAL with a gallbladder attack. She's postponing her surgery until next week. Because: a.) she's a rock star b.) she is just so thrilled to have a weekend away c.) it's her birthday or d.) she has an extremely high pain tolerance (and pain meds and antibiotics on hand to boot.) Anyways... how thrilled was I to have her RUN to greet me at our hotel/motel door.

Jennifer and Lindsay have a friend who made us cute matchey matchey shirts for the weekend. Ordinarily, I reserve anything appliqued to women who are of advanced age... but seeing as how these were cute and princessy and it is the most magical place on earth I decided to make an exception. Just this once. Oh, and we also have matching hot pink sweatshirts and Nike pants. If your gonna' be dorky, you gotta' do it up big, right?

Aren't we cute???

The Fitness Expo was amazing. Probably the best one I've been to so far. The vendors had some great give aways and I've never seen so many tiaras, pinky glittery glitz associated with anything athletic. Leave it to Disney!

TWO princes for us. AND a red carpet to greet us.

Estrogen overload.

J and L thought ahead to buy their sweetnesses (each have one daughter) My MOM finished shirts. Guess who will be wearing those proudly to school next Monday. I hope sure hope that they do finish!

I fell out laughing at this sight. (That's for all of my southerner readers). They so stole my line! I've never said that lack of training is smart. I should have said it's running stupid!

If only this were true.


We came back to our luxurious accommodations long enough to change for a big night on the town. We didn't do our homework as to where the place to be was on a Friday night. So we winged it.

Most of the other runners were snug in their beds conserving their energy and hydrating for this weekend's race. Not us.

We headed to The Boardwalk to find an establishment where we could live it up. Well, as much as you can at a Family resort.

Lindsay taught me how to stand like a pageant wannabe. Apparently, all girls in Alabama possess this basic knowledge.

We were itching to do a little dancing.

But there was NONE to be found. A Friday night and three girls away from home and finding nada. We knew that we had to switch venues. So back to the taxi stand we went.

Even Jellyrolls was lacking any pizazz.

We ended up at a locals spot to find some atmosphere and a dance floor. Well there was some atmosphere but mostly we made our own fun.

We found some innocent bystanders who joined in on our entertainment.

And laughed until we cried when others offered their leftovers. (This is a you had to be there moment.) Crazy to think that just hours ago I had never actually met Lindsay and Jennifer and now, here we are becoming BFF's and about to run a half marathon. Think of all of the fun I'd miss if I always stayed close to home!

It's Lindsay's birthday! Who says you must obey doctors orders to stay on clear liquids and rest before surgery???

Lindsay's a texting queen. I don't ever want to hear that I may have a slight addiction to my CrackBerry. Lindsay takes it to a whole new level!

Circa 2AM we were ready for some breakfast. We walked (Well actually Ms. Gallbladder girl ran and Jennifer and I did our best to keep up) to grab some grub.

WAFFLE HOUSE! Twice in one week. And I guess Lindsay thinks that at this point what's a little grease in your diet when the gallbladder is coming out anyway?

Who am I kidding? I can't keep up with the big kids anymore. I no longer live on Greek Row and I love my sleep. But don't I fake it pretty well?

I think that we may have frightened the Waffle House crew with our antics. We couldn't help ourselves.

We treated our taxi driver, Sami. to some breakfast. We figured that we at least owed him a meal after being our chauffeur for the evening.
A great Friday night. We're going to have a magical weekend. :O)

No comments: