Friday, December 5, 2008

Day # 6 ~ A day with the widows of Byumba

Today was another very full day. We spent the morning with the women who are widows in the villages. In the afternoon we had lunch at a church members home and then visited 3 churches and spoke and fellowshipped with the people.

The kids share one teddy bear and take turns, "taking care" of her. I love how this little one has her on her back, just like the mamas wear their babies!


This sweet one captured my heart. You'll be seeing a lot of photos of her! I just couldn't resist her cuteness!

Illustrating the communal teddy bear!





Over 200 widows gathered to meet with us and share their stories. Again, I am amazed the sacrifices they make, sometimes walking over 2 hours, to come to church. Most of the widows lost their husband to the genocide or from HIV / AIDS. Many are raising their grandchildren as their own children move away to find work. 1% are employed.

They sang and danced for us to the beat of the drum.

There are more women serving in government in Rwanda then any other country in the world.

And then... they pulled me in. I did my best... and learned some new moves too! I knew that African dance that I took in college would pay off some day!

Pastor Sam connects well with his congregation. He's always willing to join in.

How low can you go?


We ate lunch at Pastor Robert's house. Everybody wanted to come too! And I wish we could have fed them all.

Pastor Robert and his wife have 2 children, a son Leviss and a daughter, Goodness.


Pastor Robert and family joined us for the afternoon. It made for a comfy cozy van ride to the churches up in the hills.


The first church that we stopped at presented us with a handmade African basket. They showed me how to carry it on my head. Not so easy.


Our welcoming committee

At attention...


The church was full of people from the village. They sang and danced for us. It never gets old!


Sweet girl



The round belly is from malnutrition.

A interior of a church. Open windows and mud floors and walls.




The beautiful baskets made by women in the church. The tall ones are filled with, "acabanga," which means secret. They typically have beans or produce.


The exiting committee!



Going for water.


Our last church was way, way, way up in the hills. Francis got us there safely through the very twisting dirt roads.

It poured rain during our visit. The rain was so heavy and loud on the tin roof that we couldn't hear anything. We had to shout to be heard. We couldn't stop laughing. It was such an experience!

They served us a spread of food. Bananas, tree fruit, bread, hard boiled eggs and tea. It was very awkward eating in front of the church members. We knew that many were hungry and migt be without food and here we were eating in front of them. Culturally it is very rude to not accept what you are offered, so we graciously accepted.

Come Mr. Tally man, tally me bananas...

Not a flattering angle, but I had to include this shot! The kids were giggling and laughing and showing me how to balance! I'm not quite the naturals that they are!
Tomorrow will be spent with the youth of the village and then a tour of a tea factory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, these photos are amazing Mel. I can't stop staring at the photos of the children. It is really humbling to look at but yet they seem so happy. We could all learn from them. Thanks for the time you took to post all these photos. The girls, Shane and I have enjoyed them.