Friday, December 12, 2008

Day #14 Rwanda~ Homeward Bound with a parasite

Well, there you go. I've blogged about the highlights of my trip of a lifetime: My Mission trip to Rwanda.
I ended up VERY sick with major GI symptoms (I'll spare you the details) and was hospitalized both in Kigali and then again when I got back home. I somehow contracted a parasite (and I thought I was so careful) that wrecked havoc on my insides.
Thankfully the team thought to bring clean blood kits. The medical team was able to use the supplies to start my IV (after many attempts) to give my body some much needed fluids intravenously.
I spiked a very high fever and was very weak. I wasn't sure if I would be able to fly home with my team. But, thank you GOD, I was wheeled on the plane and met my parents at the airport who took me to the Emergency Room.
This photo was taken the morning of the start of it all....

And this is me before boarding the plane in Brussels, Belgium. (Nice forced smile, eh?) I knew if I could just get on the plane I'd be in the clear!

Getting a parasite was not fun, but made my experience in Africa all the more well rounded! And now, 3 months later, I'm almost better!

No comments: