Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day #8 ~ Mothers and a whole lotta kids

This is what we saw at any arrival or departure ~ kids faces eagerly crowding at the windows!



They're like paparazzi's!


I love the one in the front with the serious expression and thumbs up!


Pound it!


Today was spent with the Mother's Unions and playing with the kids who live near the church.


There's "my girl" getting carried around...

Feleste






Byumba sling shot

Feleste and I

Everybody takes care of everybody.


This little guy went into the bush to find dinner!
Justin and Brent found this spot and we hiked there to take it all in.


Kristen and I



My beloved Nikon D60's flash broke a couple days into my trip. I was beyond disappointed! Luckily it still worked outside and I had a back up camera. Justin is a very good photographer and knowledgeable too. He taught me a lot of new tricks. Now if I can only learn how to use Photoshop!


Our session with the Mother's Union went well. We were able to leave them with teaching tools that address Malaria prevention, Parasites, Nutrition, and Healthy Families.

Many of the women we met earlier in the week when we met with the Widows group.
There is a rabbit project in the church. 20 women have been given rabbits as part of a micro enterprise project. They breed the rabbits, give one back to the church and then sell the rest for meat. Our group decided to make a seed money donation to help purchase additional rabbits for the project. It works, in many ways, like the project Heifer International.

I was determined to learn how to walk with a basket on my head. This one was full of acabanga (secret). I peeked and it was full of beans. Not very heavy, but awkward to balance. How do they do it? And they have larger baskets, and oftentimes a baby on their back!

Show off!

We ate lunch with this cute family. They have a 2 week son, Berrerut. A baby begins being carried on their mother's back when s/he is 8 days old.

Sam took us to the market to buy food for the Children's activity we are doing tomorrow. I asked to stop to browse the fabric. My mom would have loved to have seen all of the prints. I bought her 18 yards!


No comments: