Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Day #10 ~ Church in Byumba



Sunday morning church this morning was quite the experience for me. Pastor Sam and students welcome church goers to church with drums. In lieu of ringing bells, you hear the pounding of African drums!


The church was past capacity with over 1,000 people


A little breakfast

Kristeenuh, Brehent, Justeenee and Mayleenduh gave the sermon today. We talked about how God has blessed our lives and offered words of encouragement. There is a very good reason that I am not a public speaker... and it was very difficult for me to stand up there and try to say something meaningful. Thankfully I had time to think before each sentence uttered as Pastor Sam was translating. I shared my journey of faith and learning that God is always there for us regardless of circumstances. I talked about my cancer diagnosis and treatment and how the isolation gave me the chance to grow closer to Him.



After church many of the mothers handed me their babies. Literally, just smiled and handed me their daughters and sons! Talk about feeling humbled!

And they tied them on my back ~ African style!



We spent the evening SLEEPING and relaxing. It was so nice to have a free afternoon as our days and nights have been so jam packed. I wouldn't have changed a thing. Thank you God for sending me to Rwanda!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A baby on your back like that suits you!
Tirza