Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Malibu to Cambria via Highway One


We spent the day in the car. The views were breathtaking and I wished for a chauffeur so that we could both enjoy the view. But someboday (me!) had to drive. We took our time cruising up Highway One, stopping to stretch our legs and take it all in before the next beautiful stop.

This beach is just outside of Malibu. There wasn't a soul around and it was quiet and peaceful.




We had lunch in Solvang, California. It's a small Danish town that reminds me the quaintness of my hometown of Sisters, Oregon.

Merry Christmas, in Danish! Tirza, my best friend from High School was born in Denmark and my dad studied at the University of Copenhagen.


We had a traditional Smorgasbord meal.


For many years my dad bought my mom Royal Copenhagen plates. They lined our kitchen. Seeing these in the restaurant jogged my memory.

We had Aebleskivers for dessert. They are yummy danish pancakes with homemade raspberry jam.

Tonight's lodging is at a bed and breakfast in Cambria . Cambria is a unique town off the beaten path. It's very picturesque and amazing to see the ocean while amongst pine trees. I had some great work appointments tonight. Tomorrow I have a vacation day and we're headed to Carmel. Can't wait!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Hey, I've been to Solvang! :)

Enjoy writing your blog ..... its such a great journal of life!

melinda marie said...

kristie, thanks for comemnting! i'm a NQWIHP stalker, big time! keep it up! :O)
we had crazy oklahoma twister like weather today in orange county, california. what's up with that!
have a great wednesday!