Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The road adventure continues... Cambria to Carmel

We woke up bright and early (by my standards anyways...) to leave Cambria and head up to Carmel. On the way we checked off a few more sites on our list to see. First stop was Hearst Castle in San Simeon.

Hearst Castle is a palatial estate and a National Historic Landmark. It was designed by Julia Morgan for William Randolph Hearst (Net worth 2.5 BILLION dollars).

Hearst castle was built in 1922 and cost $37 million to build. It is 90,000 square feet and has 56 bedrooms, 61 bathrooms, 19 sitting rooms, 127 acres of gardens, an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, tennis courts, a movie theatre and the world's largest private pool. A bit excessive? This is only one of his many homes!

I took so many photos... but just posted a few here for highlights sake.

My favorite part of the tour was looking at and leaning more about the Neptune pool.

I would love to swim in this pool! It is 104 feet long, 58 feet wide and 95 feet wide at alcove. It is 3.5 feet deep at the west end, 10 feet at drains and holds 345,000 gallons of water.


Tommy and I talked about how this palace will be nothing compared to the mansions awaiting us at our eternal home in Heaven.

Our next stop was to see the elephant seals in Piedras Blancas in San Simeon. I've been wanting to do this for several years but have never been in the area during the birthing season, which is December - February.

We saw a brand new baby pup! And her mama was super protective!


We found so many gorgeous lookouts...


Bixby Canyon Arch Bridge

Headed to the McWay Waterfall trail.

This is the only time that I've seen a waterfall fall into the ocean. Pretty awesome.


We were rushing to get to Big Sur before dusk. And we made it. We hiked to a waterfall. I slipped and fell.... not fun! But I picked myself up, dusted myself off and carried on. (Like the trooper that I can be).


Oh! And how cute is my outfit? It's my "traveling uniform."


We made it to our Carmel Bed and Breakfast (Carmel Country Inn... which is wonderful!) in time for a rest before our 8pm dinner reservations at Little Napoli Bistro Italiano.

A packed day. But traveling with Tommy never translates to sitting around. Tomorrow's agenda: Pebble Beach, 17 mile drive, and the long drive home to celebrate New Years Eve on East Coast time. It will be another early wake up call to spend the day in Pasadena at The Rose Bowl. Good stuff!

No comments: