Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Big Easy ~ New Orleans, Louisiana

Nawlins!

The Schexnayders and Momo Monkey were kind enough to take me New Orleans. I never made the trip when I lived in Memphis, and since we were so close (in Baton Rouge) we took a day trip to experience the city.

Sonic and all of the pellet ice goodness for breakfast! Why we only have one in Southern California I'll never understand....

The Superdome. It's something to think that it served as shelter to thousands of Hurricane Katrina victims.

So much to do, so little time...

A weekend of snapping pics, and I finally get one of little man crackin' a smile!


This is Miss Hannah with Mason Jude. They are cousins and Hannah is so sweet and patient with Mason.

They had fun running everywhere and showing us their tricks in the performance pavilion. I showed off a few time steps, flap-ball-change, shuffle-step and a wing or two. I didn't realize I still had it in me! All of those tap lessons are still ingrained in my brain!


This is the way to see the sites!

Shopping galore inside the French Market. I found a must have St. Jude medallion and a New Orleans fleur-de-lis charm.


Who needs a double stroller? There's plenty of room in there!

I just had to try beignets! When I told people that I was New Orleans bound everyone told me to head to Cafe du Monde!

"Donuts without the hole..." lavishly covered in powdered sugar and oh so yummy!


These painted trolley cars are all over the city. At first glance I thought that they looked like coffins and found it a bit odd... Does anybody else see the resemblance?

The St. Louis Cathedral was amazing! It was built in 1720 and overlooks Jackson Square. It is the oldest Catholic Cathedral, "in constant use," in the United States.

Momo Monkey lit a candle for Angel Zoie and Mason was very interested in the explanation. I love the way he will grow up knowing what an amazing big sister he has.


A family serenading us with violins ~ with a donation box for Summer Camp.

It may seem like an awkward transition, but from the Cathedral we headed to Bourbon Street. For a Photo opp only! :O)

Bourbon Street reminds me a lot of Memphis' Beale Street. I don't think I'll be making any Mardi Gras reservations anytime soon!


How funny is this granny? She really was jammin' on the keyboard!

A trolley along the Mighty Muddy Mississippi River.

Our last stop before heading back to Lafayette was to The International Shrine of St. Jude at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church. This statue of St. Jude is the world's largest. My interest in St. Jude began as I learned of the significance it had to Danny Thomas and his founding St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

We spent time in The Lourdes Grotto. Very serene and spiritual.


The chapel was completed in 1827 and was, "born of hope in the face of desperation." At the time New Orleans was stricken with hundreds of cases of Yellow Fever. It was the place where many veterans of the Confederate Army and survivors of the American Civil war gathered to worship and, "nourish their souls."


Good-bye New Orleans!

We headed back to Lafayette and dodged a massive thunderstorm.

Tomorrow, I head back home. I had such a fun filled extended weekend with my favorite crazy Louisiana family. Many thanks to The Schexnayders and Momo Monkey for all of your hospitality and for making my trip a memorable one! In the words of precious princess Angel Zoie, I LOVE YOU BIG LIKE HEAVEN!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flap ball change will never leave you!
Teen

Dena said...

You are just too fun. Do you "have" to travel for work?

melinda marie said...

Yes I do travel for work (California, Nevada, Arizona, Hawaii and Tennessee) and like to add on long weekends for fun! Such is the life of a single girl! :O)
Thanks for commenting! When are you going to update?
Love,
MMH