Monday, May 18, 2009

Renewed...

What a wonderful weekend! I've been in a bit of a funk over the past few weeks... feeling like I was a hamster on a wheel... going through the motions. This weekend was just what I needed to spring me forward to return to me!
Friday night I attended a seminar for people interested in learning more about the foster care system in Orange County. In the words of Kay Warren, I was, "seriously disturbed and gloriously ruined." I heard some pretty unbelievable things and left the meeting feeling for all of the children in, "the system." I feel led to be involved, I just don't know in what capacity yet. I'm prayerfully considering being a mentor and eventually a foster parent and perhaps an adoptive mom as well.
Saturday morning I woke up at the crack of dawn to help at the OC AIDS Walk. I was part of the volunteer ministry team for the Saddleback Church HIV/AIDS initiative. For me to get out of bed while it is still dark outside, I have to be pretty passionate about the cause! There were over 16,00o registered walker participants and many came to our booth to hear what Saddleback is doing to fight the HIV/ AIDS epidemic locally and globally. I shared our heart for helping those infected and affected with HIV /AIDS as well as an interest in helping with HIV education and testing.

Pastor Danny, our fearless leader



These are the shirts that we wore. I love them! It is only when we are disturbed by something that we start to act to do something about it. The HIV/AIDS initiative is working hard to champion with others to stop the spread of HIV / AIDS and support those living with the disease.

Kay Warren and I. Her vision is for churches everywhere to: Care for and comfort the sick, Handle testing and counseling, Unleash a task force of volunteers, Remove the stigma, Champion healthy behavior and Help with nutrition and Medication.

GO ANGELS!

Our resource table


The walking group! Well, okay, I didn't walk... but held down the fort while the others did!

Danny, the chosen spokesperson for the media.


After the walk I went on a thrift store shopping frenzy. I hit 6 on the way to my friend Carolyn's house!!!! I took a big fat nap on Carolyn's church before she woke me up to eat Mexican food at a local hole-in-the-wall joint. YUMMY! We spent the night catching up with each other and chuckled that we were in our jammies and ready for bed by 10! We laughed about being in agreement that it was just too much work to get dolled up for a night on the town!
Sunday morning Carolyn's cutenesses appeared and we had a bargain Farmer Boys breakfast and hit garage sales and more thrift stores! We were on a mission to find a few specific things and found them!
Sunday afternoon and evening I took a class on spiritual growth which I have been wanting and needing to take. I enjoyed reconnecting with some friends at FUEL service and headed home. During my relaxing long shower I slipped, fell and hit my head HARD during a 5.0 EARTHQUAKE! I was trying to leap out of the shower to run for the doorway when the shaking started. I now have a substantial knot on my noggin' and an indentation from where my head met the faucet. Just call me Grace!
I'm grateful for my attitude readjustment and for the excitement of knowing that there are many meaningful ways for me to serve... and looking forward to just getting out there. Welcome back, me!

1 comment:

Tirza said...

Yea Mel! I'm happy for you and excited at the thought of you being a foster parent. I think you would be wonderful! Can't wait to see you soon! XOXOX, me