Monday, April 20, 2009

Comfort Zone Camp Weekend


Last weekend was:

EMOTIONAL
INCREDIBLE
TOUCHING
BONDING
MEANINGFUL
MEMORABLE
I left feeling:

HONORED
INSPIRED
FULFILLED
HOPEFUL
and PLEASANTLY EXHAUSTED
I spent the weekend in Malibu being a BIG BUDDY at Comfort Zone Camp, "a fun and safe place for grieving children." My "job" was to shadow my little buddy and walk beside her as she experienced camp. I was there to encourage, empower, listen and facilitate a safe place to express feelings about the loss of loved ones. The goal was to allow campers to tell their story while providing an outlet to grieve.

The weekend was full of contagious enthusiasm. From challenge courses, singing, campfires, and cabin time... to arts and crafts, healing circles, fashion shows and silliness. The campers were able to be children who are grieving instead of grieving children. They were with their peers who truly identified with them. In the words of one of my 7 year old campers, "People tell me all the time that they know how I feel. But they don't. They think they do, but they don't really. At camp, they really do know how I feel. And I like the bunk beds!"
I came to camp to help kids. And is the sentiment of most volunteers and staff, I left camp feeling that they gave me more than I could ever give them.






I learned in training that, "A good big buddy would be someone with giant ears with long arms so that they can listen and give hugs." And that is what I tried to do. Comfort Zone Camp is an amazing organization and I look forward to volunteering for many, many camps in the future!

"Unfortunately, the death of a mom, dad, brother, or sister happens to over 2.5 million children in our country. Comfort Zone Camp gives these children a place where they can be around other kids and adults that get it, while learning valuable coping skills to use in their everyday lives. " Consider volunteering! You can change a child's life!
"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."
~Psalm 34:18
"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their hearts."
~Psalm 147:3

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I also just finished up volunteering at Comfort Zome Camp in Virginia! I believe this was the first time they had a camp going on in Virginia, Jersey and California all the same weekend!

I wasn't a big buddy, I was a photographer, but it was still an incredible experience!

Thanks so much for sharing!