Saturday, October 25, 2008

From Rwanda to Mary Janes.

A full and productive Saturday ~ a rarity these days. I usually spend Saturday's sleeping in, lounging around and doing odds and ends around my house. I may do dinner and a movie or if I'm feeling really wild and crazy, go to Barnes and Noble and peruse books while drinking my chai tea latte. But typically a Saturday night includes a bath, book or blockbuster and a blanket and that is fine by me!

Today started out with meeting with my team for my Rwanda peace trip mission group. We learned the top 40 words and phrases in Kinyarwandan. I can say, "Muraho. Nitwa Melinda. Bite?" Which means, Hello! I'm Melinda. How's it going?" We discussed the differences between relief and development and reviewed our teaching on Malaria, Parasites, Nutrition and Healthy Families. I heard some disturbing facts. Did you know that the average walk to see a doctor is 8 hours? 50 - 60 % of all the patients are being treated for preventable disease (ie. Malaria, Dysentery, Diarrhea). These are acquired due to the lack of knowledge of basic hand washing, lack of water purification, and unsanitary living conditions. Babies are dying at an alarming rate because mothers are unaware of re hydrating their children. This is unacceptable and so sad. The PEACE plan is training the trainers to go into homes and teach the skills needed to stay healthy and improve life. It will trickle down and those who receive services become trainers and so and so and so on. I have no idea what to expect and pray that God will use me to best help the people of Rwanda. My trip is in 1 month!

Next, I received a call that my nephew, Andrew was injured at his Frosh. football game and was headed to the Emergency Room. I met Andrew and my sister and brother-in-law to "oversee the operations." You know, I am so all knowing... my formal training from ER, Greys Anatomy and HOUSE qualifies me to ask all of the right questions. Turns out he has a broken wrist. This makes broken bone #6 and more contributions to Dr. Morris' (His orthopedic doc) kids college fund. Guess he'll be retiring from early this season. I told him that he didn't have to break a bone to take a break from football!

Tonight I finished my latest Jodi Picoult book, My Sisters Keeper. I loved it. And can't wait to start my next Jodi novel. I'm hooked. Who knew I'd ever be such a bookworm?


Tomorrow I will chaperon a dozen girls on a birthday party adventure to Downtown Disney. I know, I know, 2 weekends in a row for kids parties... the thought has crossed my mind a time or two. Today I went shoe shopping at the mall. I subconsciously wandered over to the kids shoes and was drooling over the sweetest tiniest tiny Mary Janes. When will it be my turn? Soon enough. Until then I'll enjoy my freedom and the choice to spend an entire Saturday calling all the shots... I can be busy or do nothing at all. And someday every minute will be occupied by kiddos who need their mama. I long for that. Someday...

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Melinda,
Thanks for taking the time to visit & comment on my blog :) I actually did the photo through Corel Photo Shop. It was a FREE trial for 30 days. I was trying out programs before I chose the one I want...Just google it and see what you think, you might like it...
By the way, how is Jamie doing?
I like your blog too!
I LOVE Jodi Picoult too-have read them ALL!

Jennifer

Jacob said...

Mel,

That someday will come. And when it does...you will be such a wonderful momma, one who truly enjoys each moment and didn't just happen into the greatest role of your life: you'll be ready and appreciative! I can relate! I am excited for your turn, and I have no doubt it will come at just the right time :)

So, did that book just tug at your heartstrings or what? I remember just SOBBING at the end.

Enjoy the Saturdays you get to lounge, or nap, or shoe shop. Once the kiddos make their way into your world (yours, that is) those seemingly insignifant things become rarities. :) Take a nice long bath and a nice long nap for me, and enjoy!

Love ya, girl! And Sawyer sends slobbery kisses your way! Will we get to see you this Thanksgiving? I hope so!

Jacob said...

oops, that really was me, I'm just signed is as Jacob :_