Sunday, October 5, 2008

HaPpY bIrThDaY tIRzA eLiZaBeTh!!!!

Happy Birthday,Tirza! To my beautiful, talented, spunky, loving, dedicated, loyal, friend! Who knew that the nerdy and "stuck up snob from California" that you befriended in 18 years ago would still be around to keep you in check?

Tirza and I met at Sisters Middle School in Sisters, Oregon. (Population 711). I was in Mr. DeKay's math class and wearing a neon pink swap meet windbreaker. I had been teased as being from California (as the small towners didn't want Californians taking over) and Tirza (being cool and popular) was also a California transplant with a lot more clout than me. She told them to be nice and invited me to be her math partner.

The rest is history. We shared ballet lessons, ASB leadership, fundraising for Portland's Doernbecher Children's Hospital, being charter members of Habitat For Humanity and H.O.P.E (Tirza's brain child ~ "Helping Other People Every Day." We visited nursing home patients weekly and goofed off. I convinced her invite my crush to join and never missed a single outing. Imagine that?) Tagging along for PROM (I was stood up for the festivities) and walking together at graduation. (Class of 1996 - class size of 60). We were college roommates and I was her maid of honor at her wedding to high school sweetheart, Shane. We share the love for shopping, trying to figure out the latest in electronics, enriching the lives of children (she is the sweet mama to Mira (7) and Annah (3).

Even though we live far apart, we still manage to keep in touch by weekly phone calls and plane rides a time or two a year. We are both growing in our faith and enjoy sharing the work that God is doing in our lives.

Tirza is a dear friend and I am so thankful that she is mine!

"A true friend is one soul dwelling in two bodies." ~Aristotle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mel! That was so sweet! I miss you.
Love,
Tirza