Saturday, October 11, 2008

Malaria nets and toilet paper

I had a training for my Rwanda Peace trip this morning. After finding out that I will need vaccines for yellow fever, typhoid fever (which I heard from a few reputable sources to cause, a "high drugged state" post vaccination), polio booster, tetanus, and anti-malaria medication, we were given a list of suggested speciality items to pack.

I purchased the following:
  • 1 mosquito netting. Apparently I will sleep with this over my head and night.

  • 3 rolls of "camping toilet paper." Toilet paper is not a guarantee at some of our destinations.

  • Crank flashlight and lantern. Apparently electricity is optional at some destinations as well,

  • Anti-bacterial wipes

  • 1 poncho ~ for the daily monsoon downpours

  • Beef jerkey, protein bars and single serving peanut butter. (I can survive on anything for 3 weeks...) I added lemonheads, lifesavers, gum and craisins for good measure!

  • Bandaids for blisters

  • DEET insect repellent (in case they make it through the netting or the part of exposed skin)

  • Camping towels

  • 1 pillowcase (Although "hotel" linens are laundered, they are dried on the banks of the lake

I'm having flashlights back to girl scout camps and sixth grade Outdoor Ed.

No comments: