Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Peabody Memphis

I'm in Memphis for a few days for some work fun. This time I get to stay at The Peabody. I've visited a few times but never had the chance to stay. It is a beautiful historic hotel!

The lobby is gorgeous. Every day at 11:00AM and 5:00PM the duckmaster walks the ducks out on the red carpet and they spend the day in the lobby fountain.


The celebrity ducks walk down the red carpet and head for the elevator. They sleep on the roof of the hotel!

The story behind the ducks is this: In 1933 Frank Schutrt, the GM and a friend returned from a weekend hunting trip to Arkansas. The men had a little too much Tennessee whiskey and thought it would be funny to put some of their live duck decoys in the Peabody fountain. They were a hit. 76 years later the ducks still grace the fountain. The ducks live there until they are full-grown and then released into the wild.

5 little ducks. When I was younger one of my favorite books was Make Way For Ducklings by Robert McCloskey. My older siblings and parents read it to me and it's still on my shelf.


""'Good,' said Mr. Mallard, delighted that at last Mrs. Mallard had found a place that suited her."

The bathroom is awesome in my room. And you know it's all about the bubble baths for me. Everything is all about the ducks!

My room ~ big comfy down comforters

The pool

I headed to the rooftop. Here's the view from the top. You can see the Mississippi River. On the other side is Arkansas.

At night


And now... on to the Vice Presidential Debate. Governer Sarah's done her homework. Wonder if Tina Fey will star on SNL again?!

No comments: